Mealtime (at home)
Eating is so much fun! The chef loves to make food and see everyone enjoying it and talking around the table. But for mealtimes to be the uplifting and nourishing experience that it’s meant to be, here are some guidelines for how the Lin family enjoys meals together:
- Prior to mealtime, ask the chef if they need help with anything.
- Wait for everyone to sit down and ask blessing before we eat. The Lord provides for our every need and our thankfulness overflows for His generosity.
- You do not have to finish, but you must try everything on your plate.
- Thank the chef for the meal regardless of whether you liked it or not.
- The chef is fine with constructive criticism as long as you do it with kindness. You may use words like “It wasn’t my favorite” or “I didn’t care for it.” It would also help the chef know WHY you don’t like something.
- The chef wants to know when you really like something. The chef loves to make things that make the family happy!
- Ask to be excused from the table when you are finished.
- No throwing food. That is disrespectful and is punishable by banishment from the meal.
- Since we are a Chinese-American household you may use either chopsticks or utensils.
- If you get up from the table to get yourself something, ask if anyone else needs anything.
Mealtime (dining out)
Eating out at a restaurant is very fun, but it is a privilege and a special occasion.
- In addition to thanking God in prayer before we eat, you also need to thank the person who is serving you. They make our dining experience enjoyable. At the end of the meal, thank Daddy who earns the money to pay for the meal.
- If you do not care for the item you ordered, you may not reorder. So order wisely.
- There is a zero tolerance policy for silliness or tantrums. Other people around us want to enjoy their dinner. You will get one warning for your behavior and if either silliness or tantrums start, the offender will be immediately escorted out of the restaurant for the remainder of the meal and can expect punishment at home later. The punishment will be severe because you ruined dinner for yourself, those around you, and the parent who had to sit with you outside.
- If you finish your food before everyone else, you may participate in conversation or do a quiet activity such as reading a book or coloring until everyone else is done. You may not get down from the table and run around the restaurant.
- After dinner, thank your servers and potentially the chef for taking their time and talent to serve you delicious food. Also, thank daddy again for the special treat.
- We don’t allow others to influence us in anything that goes against who we are and what we believe.
- Our bodies are awesome creations by God and to be treated with careful consideration.